The Killing of the Unicorn

This is a general discussion forum about Dorothy Stratten where friends, fans and family may gather to share memories of Miss 'D'. Please remain respectful of Dorothy, her family, and of your fellow posters at all times.

Moderators: William, Elise Anderson Cash

The Killing of the Unicorn

Postby Jasondr91 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:48 am

The shark is killed for it's fin,
The rhino is killed for it's horn,
The tiger is killed for it's skin,
What price the unicorn?

34 years ago today.....wow time is flying.
Jasondr91

Re: The Killing of the Unicorn

Postby William » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:03 pm

You know, I still have never read this, Jason. I don't know if I will, because while I think it has some value, and I'd learn some thing I do not know, I think that P.B. created such a romanticized picture of Dorothy Ruth, I don't know how accurate it could be. Nobody could blame him, after what he went through, but I would love a more accurate depiction. I think the closest we would ever get is the book Louise has said she would be working on.
William
Site Admin

Postby Donna30 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:06 pm

I used to like Peter until I saw the YouTube clip of him being rude to a fan who wanted his picture.
Donna30

Postby Jasondr91 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:30 pm

William wrote:You know, I still have never read this, Jason. I don't know if I will, because while I think it has some value, and I'd learn some thing I do not know, I think that P.B. created such a romanticized picture of Dorothy Ruth, I don't know how accurate it could be. Nobody could blame him, after what he went through, but I would love a more accurate depiction. I think the closest we would ever get is the book Louise has said she would be working on.

With great thirst, I bought PBs book years ago. It was quite sappy, and very slanted. Looking at Hollywood relationships, PB would probably believe they'd be together today had nothing happened in August 1980. Sadly, like so many other relationships in that region, because of the huge age gap, they would have been together through 1982 at best, before a young, attractive kind guy came along and made her realize her relationship with PB had ran its course.

To this day the book Picture Shows or the Time Life crime book displayed the best and most accurate description of the Stratten story in my opinion.
Jasondr91

Postby anne67 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:22 pm

Jasondr91 wrote:
William wrote:You know, I still have never read this, Jason. I don't know if I will, because while I think it has some value, and I'd learn some thing I do not know, I think that P.B. created such a romanticized picture of Dorothy Ruth, I don't know how accurate it could be. Nobody could blame him, after what he went through, but I would love a more accurate depiction. I think the closest we would ever get is the book Louise has said she would be working on.

With great thirst, I bought PBs book years ago. It was quite sappy, and very slanted. Looking at Hollywood relationships, PB would probably believe they'd be together today had nothing happened in August 1980. Sadly, like so many other relationships in that region, because of the huge age gap, they would have been together through 1982 at best, before a young, attractive kind guy came along and made her realize her relationship with PB had ran its course.

To this day the book Picture Shows or the Time Life crime book displayed the best and most accurate description of the Stratten story in my opinion.

I agree with you here. I have read his book numerous times and it's very one sided. He seems to blame everyone else for her death and takes no responsibility but do not get my wrong, Paul is the real one to blame. While he blasts Hugh Hefner, it was at the mansion that Peter met Dorothy. It's also hard for me to believe that he and Dorothy planned to marry, she wasn't even out of one marriage and I'm sure she wasn't going to jump into another, this relationship would have ran it's course. One part in the book for me was telling, a few days before she was murdered Peter was telling Dorothy about a new movie he wanted to make and star her in it. She said NO very loudly and looked scared to him. I think at her young age things were moving too quickly for her and she didn't want to be another mans pawn, just my opinion though.
anne67

Return to Everything Dorothy