Hello from Little Rock Boy

Welcome to Dorothy's Forum! If you are new to our site, please begin here. All future announcements about the forum will be posted here as well.

Moderators: William, Elise Anderson Cash

Hello from Little Rock Boy

Postby Little Rock Boy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:33 am

Hi everybody, I'm a DS fan since the early 80's. I chose the name "Little Rock Boy" because that's who I was when I first saw Dorothy. I was about 10 years old and growing up in a middle class neighborhood in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1982 when Cable TV came to town, with all those premium channels playing R-rated movies. A buddy of mine down the street and I hatched a plan to sleep over at my house and borrow my sister's room for the night to use her black and white TV that had a cable box that could receive the channel that was playing, yep you guessed it... Galaxina. :roll: :oops: :P :lol: :mrgreen: Apart from the stunning and alluring title character (which is really all we cared about), we were disappointed (for reasons a young boy might), sluggish pace and lame jokes notwithstanding. We were falling asleep while watching the film, waking each other up whenever our fantasy girl reappeared on the screen.

It sparked what became my first celebrity crush and a desire to seek more of her movies. Then I got the news, she has been killed two years prior, before I even knew who she was. I read about it in TV guide. That is where I learned the meaning of the words "late" and "estranged" as in "the late Dorothy Stratten, killed by her estranged husband", not to mention it was the first time I encountered the term "murder-suicide". I was crushed. I felt robbed. I practically forgot about her after that until I saw the biopic Star 80 on cable a few years later and learned more, although it was too much about and sympathetic to Snider, which bothered me.

Since the late 1980's, I did not think of her, her movies, her tragedy until just recently while surfing youtube and stumbling into Galaxina again, then her Biography channel piece and the Playboy ABC special. Then I began looking at her life and work with mature eyes. Sadness of her passing gripped me again. I felt the whole world was robbed. Then I found dorothystratten.com and learned about what some guy named Steve was doing in her memory.

I then began searching for answers and I would not stop. I was not just searching for images of her body, or seeing her as an object of affection at this stage. Who was she really? What can I learn from her life so that I can steer my young daughter (who in my eyes has that luminescent "It" factor) in the right direction? How is this young woman that I saw on cable in my past relevant to my present? There must be a reason this re-discovery happened. And then I found this forum and was encouraged by the respectful tone of its members.

That's why I am here. Keep this site going, y'all. It's important in ways you may never think.
Little Rock Boy

Re: Hello from Little Rock Boy

Postby William » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Welcome to the forum, Little Rock.

Steve has done a great job with his site. I've spoken with him many times, and he's a good guy. He's gone to great lengths to offer interesting things about Dorothy, and help keep her memory alive.

As for the forum, it's slowed down some in recent years, as there's really not been a lot of new news coming out about her anymore. I'm hoping that when Louise releases her book about her sister, there will be new things to discuss. I for one am looking forward to it.

As for Galaxina, I have the anniversary DVD, but I have never watched it. It's strange, but in a way, knowing there is something I have never seen in full (I have seen parts of it) means there is always more Dorothy for me to discover. I have, of course, seen They All Laughed, and I think it's obvious that had she lived, she'd have been a star. She had incredible presence on screen.

Feel free to share any other recollections you might have. And don't worry, this forum isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I feel it's important that people have a place to share their thoughts with other people who have discovered what a wonderful person she was. Her beauty brought her fame, but there was a lot more to Dorothy Ruth. She was very serious about her acting, and was working hard to hone her skills as an actress. I feel that she was much more than the ingenue many stories have made her out to be. Obviously, when she moved from Coquitlam, she was young, and may have at first felt a bit overwhelmed by the bright lights of Hollywood. But Dorothy was an intelligent, driven young woman, and we are left to wonder what might have been.

Thanks for joining, and have fun looking around!

Bill
William
Site Admin

Postby Little Rock Boy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Bill. It's great to be here. I have much more to say and hope that it adds to the discussion.
Little Rock Boy

Postby William » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:04 am

Excellent. You have carte blanche, good sir!

The only rule here is that the talk about Dorothy, her family, or anybody associated with her (Hef, Peter) remain respectful. And no nudity, please. Mind you, I do not have any issue with nudity (I have long been a reader of Playboy, and was an active participant on their forums until they completely overhauled their website), but this isn't the place for it. The work she did with Playboy was tastefully done, and I do not feel that Dorothy would at all be ashamed of the work she did, but this site could have readers from anywhere in the world, and people with all different backgrounds and views on nudity/sexuality. Some might not feel comfortable with her pictorials.

I want to make sure that anybody who would like to talk about Dorothy feels comfortable in signing up.

I look forward to chatting with you, and reading what you have to contribute. Have a great Sunday!!
William
Site Admin

Return to Welcome Forum/Announcements