Windows XP help

Welcome to Dorothy's Forum! If you are new to our site, please begin here. All future announcements about the forum will be posted here as well.

Moderators: William, Elise Anderson Cash

Windows XP help

Postby Donna30 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:22 pm

I guess Im in the right topic area to post this, and hopefully someone can help me. A couple of days ago on startup and when I open Internet Explorer I keep getting a CTF Loader error message. I opened Msconfig and disabled it and it worked for a couple of days but its back now, its not checked in the msconfig tab so Im wondering how to disable it. I had read its related to microsoft and I removed Microsoft works 6 but its still there. I also ran viruscan. Anybody know about this kinda of stuff? Thanks
Donna30

Postby Good Dog » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:34 pm

You probably already read this, but here's what I found:

The CTF loader appears to be part of MS Office and relates the ctfmon.exe. You can uncheck ctfmon.exe from loading using msconfig but it will come back as a startup program. Found the following link that explains about CTFMON and how to turn it off.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;282599

Pay particular attention to this area:

"Removing the Ctfmon.exe might cause problematic behavior in your Office XP programs, so removing it is not recommended. To prevent Ctfmon.exe from running, follow these steps.

Step 1: Uninstall Alternative User Input
To uninstall the alternative user input feature, set the installation state to Not Available in Office XP Setup

Microsoft Windows 2000 and Microsoft Windows XP:
1. Quit all Office programs.
2. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. NOTE: In Windows XP, click Start and then click Control Panel.

3. In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.NOTE: In Windows XP, click Add or Remove Programs.

4. In the Currently installed programs list, click to select Microsoft Office XP product, where Office XP product is the name of the specific Office product being used. If you are using a standalone version of one of the Office programs, click to select the appropriate product in the list. Click Change.
5. In the Maintenance Mode Options dialog box, select Add or Remove Features, and then click Next. This displays the Choose installation options for all Office applications and tools dialog box.
6. Click the plus sign (+) next to Office Shared Features to expand it.
7. Click the icon next to Alternative User Input, and then select Not Available.
8. Click Update.
NOTE: If you have multiple Office XP products installed, for example, Office XP Professional and Publisher 2002, you must repeat the preceding steps for each installed product."

There's a couple other pertinent links that I found here:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/ng/microsoft ... 662584.asp
Good Dog

Postby William » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:44 pm

You might try going back to msconfig, and launching a system restore to a date prior to the issue if Good Dog's info doesn't help you.

Also, take this with a grain of salt, because 9/10 times I've run it, it's helped. But a few times it's caused problems...you might also try a registry cleaner. It helps clean up any remnants left behind after a program has been disabled/removed.

Here's the one I use.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/f ... l?tk=nl_lg

Hope that helps :)
William
Site Admin

Postby Donna30 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:12 pm

Thanks guys,
I did a system restore going back to a month ago and it seems to have worked. I had read too that it might also be a virus under that file name.
Donna30

Return to Welcome Forum/Announcements